We continue to maintain a harmonious relationship with the local communities in and around our concession. For PT BIA, our employees and the local communities are considered to be our equal partners. Due to the rural nature of the community, poverty can be quite high, and so we hope that through the development of education, healthcare, and economic infrastructure we can alleviate this poverty and increase the living standards of the local communities.
We recognize that our operations have an impact, be it directly or indirectly, on the surrounding communities as well as on the families of our employees.
It is the Company’s responsibility to maintain the wellbeing of those it considers to be under its stewardship and it is due to this fact that we have launched a number of CSR programs.
- PT BIA provides educational opportunities for the children of its employees and those hailing from the surrounding local communities of Merauke. We provide daycare services and kindergarten education, elementary level education, and secondary education (middle school). The Company has built three schools, one in each estate.
- In addition to the provision of quality educational facilities, PT BIA also provides scholarships for students heading for high school and for tertiary education as well.
- Our healthcare programs are readily available for our employees and the local communities to access. The healthcare programs provided include the development of clinics, Posyandu, and ambulances.
- Through our clinics and posyandu we provided medical checkups, medicinal treatment, socialization and education on healthcare for both patients and residents, and the prioritization of women and children’s health.
- PT BIA’s healthcare services are open to all with a special prioritization towards the poor and economically disadvantaged.
- Operating in a developing region, we recognize that PT BIA has a responsibility to look after the families of its employees and to alleviate the poor local communities of Merauke through the development of private infrastructure and economic opportunities. The company has constructed roads, housing, places of worship, communal halls and many others to fulfill the infrastructural needs of its employees, their families, and the local communities.
- In addition to basic living infrastructure, the Company has also developed in various economic programs for the local communities to assist in improving their livelihoods. Noken is a well known traditional woven bag native to Papua and are hand-woven by Papuan women. PT BIA has assisted in promoting the the Noken outside of Papua into other regions of Indonesia via displays in Jakarta for increased exposure not just domestically but internationally as well. The Noken was well receievd with many orders being placed and all proceeds being given to the Papuan women and their families who made them.